George Hoad AM, Killabakh, NSW
George has been awarded an AM for significant service to the residential horticulture industry and to the community. His huge contribution to both gardening and the community is clear from the various roles and projects he has undertaken both locally for his community on NSW North Coast and more broadly across Australia. Congratulations, George from all your HMAA colleagues and friends.
The Garden Clubs of Australia
- President, 2015-2020.
- Senior Vice-President, 2013-2014.
- Events and Functions Manager, 2012-2015, and Photo Competition Coordinator, 2012-2014.
- Committee Member, since 2012.
- Launched, inaugural National Gardening Week, 2017.
- Zone Coordinator, Lower North Coast and Hunter North Zones, since 2013.
Killabakh Garden Club
- Public Officer, since 2009.
- President, 2004-2019.
- Life Member, since 2014, Member, since 2001.
- Columnist, ‘Garden Club News’ Killabakh Chronicle, since 2005.
Other gardening activities
- Potted Plant and Bonsai Judge, Taree Show, since 2013, Wingham Show, since 2011.
- Monthly columnist, Gardening with George, Wingham Chronicle, and ABC Radio Gardening Correspondent, since 2010.
- Owner and host, Winchelsea Gardens, Killabakh, various fund-raising activities, six- acre country garden, featured on the Better Homes and Gardens television show and in publications.
- Life Member, Friend of Great Dixter Gardens, UK, since 2011.
Secretary, Horticultural Media Association Australia, since 2020.
Ronald McDonald House, Northern NSW
- Host, ‘Art in the Garden’ Event, raising funds for Ronald McDonald House Newcastle, since 2007.
Manning Valley Historical Society
- Member, Commemoration Diggers Ball Committee, 2016-2018.
- Member, Back to Mount George Anzac Commemoration, 2012-2014.
- Member, Wingham Memorial Town Hall ANZAC Portrait Gallery and Concert Committee, 2014-2016.
- Volunteer, since c. 2005.
- Member, since 1990s.
Manning Winter Festival
- Patron, since 2018.
- President, 2013-2014.
- Member, since 2013.
Sinfonia Mid-Coast Community Orchestra
- Vice-President and Concert Manager, 2006-2008.
- Member, since 2006.
New Theatre, Sydney
- Administrator, 1992-1999, Member, Singer, Actor, 1985-2000.
- Life Member, since 2000.
- Member, Equity Choir, various concerts and Christmas carols, St Vincent’s Hospital and Hospice, and nursing homes, 1980s-2000.
Other arts and community activities
- Inaugural President, Anglican Care Auxiliary, Manning, since 2015.
- Trustee, Killabakh Hall and Reserve Trust, Killabakh. Community Association, since 2011, Member, since 2001.
- General Member and Performer, Taree Arts Council, since 2001.
- Compere and Vocalist, Manning Valley Concert Band, since 2016.
- MC, Wingham Bonnie Scottish Festival, and Taree and District Eisteddfod, current.
- MC and Supporter, Manning Support Services, since 2007.
Awards and recognition includes:
- Citizen of the Year, Greater Taree City Council, ‘Outstanding service to the community, the arts and gardening’, 2015.
- Myall Lakes Citizen of the Year, Stephen Bromhead, Member for Myall Lakes, Parliament of NSW, ‘Outstanding contribution to the community, the artsand gardening’, 2015.
- Citizen of the Year, Wingham Rotary, ‘Outstanding service to the community, the arts and gardening’, 2015.
- The Ann Williams Clark Medallion, The Garden Clubs of Australia, ‘Outstanding service by a member of an affiliated garden club’, 2012.